Class 2, Part 4. This video comes from Marakana's 5-Day Android Bootcamp Training Course which Marko Gargenta taught in San Jose, CA earlier this year.
In this tutorial Marko will begin with an explanation of threading in Android, and how you can use AsyncTask to enable proper use of the UI thread.
Marko will also cover how the Android file system is organized as well as how you can use intents and the options menu to jump from one activity to another.
A few other topics covered include how to:
- Create Preference resource file prefs.xml
- Implement PrefsActivity.java file that inflates the Preference resource file
- Register PrefsActivity with the AndroidManifest.xml file
- Update StatusActivity to Handle Menu Events
- Create menu.xml resource to specify what a menu consists of
- Add onCreateOptionsMenu() to the activity that you want to provide a menu
You can find all of the videos from the Android Bootcamp Screencast Series here.
Get the source code for this tutorial here!
Want to learn more about Android development?
Check out some of our Android training courses, or head over to TechTV to see more videos on Android development.