Enterprise COBOL V6 has dramatically changed how COBOL defines and locates its Working Storage and Linkage Sections. The traditional methods of locating these areas via the Task Global Table are gone. The TGT has been removed. COBOL has introduced new areas called the PPAs. Program Prolog Areas. There are 4 of them. There is a new Static Map that has also been created. The new COBOL Compiler listing V6 is fully explained. This CICS/TS Transaction Debugging course explains how to find these storage areas and these new COBOL structures within a CICS transaction dump. Upon completion, attendees will be able to confidently debug transactions dumps, to be more self-sufficient with application problems and to understand the methodologies of dump solving. The attendees will be given a road-map of problem solving and taken through a number of transaction dumps. Data Exceptions and Protections Exception are fully covered, as is a CICS LINK. Methodology is included to debug a looping transaction. The attendee will understand the important of CICS Control Blocks – EIB, PESA, TCA and the Trace table. The attendee will be able to describe how to use the Program Status Word and the General Purpose Registers to assist in debugging.
Attendees should have 2/3 years experience coding CICS Command Level Applications, and should have some knowledge of programming. Cobol is desirable.
4 Days/Lecture & Lab
This course is designed for COBOL Application Programmers using CICS, Systems Programmers supporting CICS applications, and developers in the CICS Environment.
- Introduction to CICS Transaction Dumps
- Understanding Data/Protection Exceptions
- Analyzing the Dump Information
- CICS Internal Design
- Setting CICS Dumping Options
- Specifying the CICS System Dump and Transaction Dump Table
- Printing Transaction Dumps
- Understanding DFHDU690 Utility
- Debugging a Program Check – Mainline
- Debugging a Program Check – COBOL Subroutine
- Debugging a Program Check – Exec CICS Link
- Understanding the Step by Step Methodology of Debugging
- CICS Tracing Facilities
- Controlling the Trace – CETR
- Setting Trace Options
- Printing the Trace – DFHTU690
- Debugging a Program Loop
- Understanding CICS Abend Codes
- Debugging using Execution Diagnostic Facility
- Using CEDF to Solve the Program Check while the Transaction is Still Abending