The student will learn how to tune applications that use the Db2 environment, as well as design databases to minimize the use of system resources.
Before taking this course, students should have experience in using Db2, either in the areas of applications development or database administration.
5 Days/Lecture & Lab
This course is designed for technical personnel who need to optimize the performance of a Db2 application system.
- Application program tuning
- Access Strategies
- EXPLAIN, PLAN_TABLEs, DSN_STATEMNT_TABLEs, and DSN_STATEMENT_CACHE_TABLEs
- Indexable, Stage 1, and Stage 2 predicates
- Catalog tables and filter factors
- Catalog table modification
- Join and subquery access strategies
- BIND parameter considerations
- Concurrency and locking
- Batch issues
- Security issues and strategies
- Sequential and list prefetch
- Visual Explain
- Attachment facility issues, RCT parameters, and thread reuse
- Data base design considerations
- Utility issues
- Db2 traces and Instrumentation Facility
- Db2 system parameters
- z/OS issues