This two-day workshop will provide you with an overview of the structures, processes and players of the Government of Canada - the machinery of government. It presents the current context, government plans, priorities and the relationship between government and the Public Service. You'll also learn about the history, traditions and values that have shaped the Canadian parliamentary system.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
2 Days/Lecture & Lab
This course is designed for those who are fairly new to the federal government or those who wish to have a refresher; public servants who are policy officers or program managers and those outside government who seek to understand how the federal government works
- Westminster model of government
- The legislative basis of Canadian democracy
- Parliament (House of Commons, Senate and Standing Committees)
- Federal Ministers, Federal Departments and Central Agencies
- Government and Cabinet Committees
- Policy/legislation development processes
- Stakeholder and citizen engagement
- Federal system of government