ITIL, Governance & IT Service Management
ITIL Service Capability Track
ITIL is a set of best practices guidance that has become a worldwide-adopted framework for IT Service Management by many Public & Private Organizations. Since early 1990, ITIL has been evolving from focusing on Functions and Processes under versions 1 and 2 to focusing on the Full Service Lifecycle Management under current version.
In addition to the existing benefits of aligning IT goals and objectives with the business, improving quality and reducing cost of operation; ITSM and ITIL now emphasizes the following areas:
- Assist in transforming IT Service Management onto a strategic business asset
- Assist in defining and managing the complete lifecycle of IT Service Management Process
- Provide guidance on the development of Services Strategy, the development of Service Design, the Transition of Services from current to desired state, the Implementation and the Continuous improvement of those Services
Through lectures and practice exam questions participants explore the concepts of good practice in IT Service Management based on the ITIL Edition 2011 Framework.
The ITIL Intermediate Qualification: Operations Support Analysis Certificate is a free-standing qualification, but is also part of the ITIL Intermediate Capability stream, and one of the modules that leads to the ITIL Expert in IT Service Management. The purpose of this training module and the associated exam and certificate is, respectively, to impart, test, and validate the knowledge on industry practices in Service Management as documented in the ITIL publication.
The success in achieving this certification is highly dependent upon participants’ effort in doing their homework, and self-study before and during the program.
This program is offered over a 5-day period where it combines theoretical and hands-on knowledge transfer, including individual and group practical exercises. The minimum number of students per session is 6 where the maximum is 18. This five (5) days classroom training course with examination held on the afternoon of the 5th day is accredited by the examinations institute. The course includes approximately 30 hours of student-instructor interaction, a sample, and a formal examination. The format of the examination consists of a closed book paper of 8 multiple choice complex questions, to be answered within 90 minutes. (Candidates sitting the examination in English and who do not have English as their first language will be allowed additional 30 minutes to allow use of a dictionary). The pass mark will be 70% or more - 28 or more correct answers.
This training program includes the following as reference documentation:
- Program slide presentation
- Syllabus document
- ITIL acronyms and glossary
- Sample examination questions and answers
Candidates wishing to be trained and examined for this qualification must already hold the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management (the V3 Foundation or V2 Foundation plus Bridge Certificate) which shall be presented as documentary evidence to gain admission. Students must also have:
- At least 30 contact hours (hours of instruction, excluding breaks, and not including summary review time) with an Accredited Training Organization (ATO) or an accredited e-learning solution) for this syllabus, as part of a formal, approved training course/scheme
- 2 to 4 years’ professional experience working in IT Service Management is highly desirable
- Hold the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management (or other appropriate earlier ITIL and bridge qualifications)
It is also recommended that candidates should complete at a minimum of 12 hours of personal study by reviewing the syllabus and the pertinent areas within the ITIL core guidance in preparation for the examination, specifically Chapter 2: Service Management as a practice.
Additionally, it is recommended that candidates:
- Can demonstrate familiarity with IT terminology and understand Operational Support and Analysis within the context of their own business environment.
- Have experience of working in a Service Management capacity within a service provider environment, with responsibility for at least one of the following management disciplines:
- Event management process
- Incident management process
- Request fulfillment process
- Problem management process
- Access management process
- Service desk
- Technical management
- IT operations management
- Application management.
Before attending training for the certification it is also strongly recommended that candidates read the ITIL Service Lifecycle core publications and, in particular, the ITIL Service Transition and Service Operation publication.
* ITIL is a registered trade mark of AXELOS Limited. The Swirl logo is a trademark of AXELOS Limited.
5 Days/Lecture & Lab
The main target group for this ITIL Intermediate Qualification Certificate includes, but is not restricted to:
- IT professionals
- Business managers
- Business process owners
- Individuals who require a deep understanding of the ITIL Certificate in the Operational Support and Analysis processes and how it may be used to enhance the quality of IT service support within an organization
- IT professionals who are working within an organization which has adopted and adapted ITIL and who need to be informed about, and thereafter contribute to, an ongoing service improvement program
- Operational staff involved in event management process, incident management process, request fulfillment process, problem management process, access management process, service desk, technical management, IT operations management and application management, and who wish to enhance their role-based capabilities
- Individuals who have attained the ITIL Foundation Certificate in IT Service Management and wish to advance to higher level ITIL certifications
- Individuals seeking the ITIL Expert Certificate in IT Service Management for which this qualification can be one of the prerequisite modules
- Individuals seeking progress toward the ITIL Master Certificate in IT Service Management for which the ITIL Expert is a prerequisite.
- The Value to the Business Of OSA Activities
- Common OSA Functions and Roles
- Technology and Implementation Considerations
- Summary, Exam Preparation and Directed Studies