Good leadership is critical to individual and organizational success in today's challenging global IT environment. Leaders are needed at every level of an organization and in every discipline - IT is no exception. Leadership is essential to ensuring that project goals and objectives are set and achieved, and to ensure that a project team remains committed and focused to achieving its deliverables. This course focuses on developing core leadership skills and behaviours and emphasizes that managers can become leaders if they choose to do so. Throughout the course participants explore and discuss essential leadership concepts and behaviours, and create a plan of how to apply these behaviours in their specific context by developing their own personal leadership development plan. Participants are then encouraged to share their leadership development plan with their manger and to take additional steps to develop themselves as a leader. Upon completion of the course participants can optionally (at additional charge) be introduced to a professional coach with leadership development expertise to continue working on their personal leadership development plan.
Before taking this course, students should have a basic understanding of teams and team dynamics.
2 Days/Lecture & Lab
This course is designed for any IT professional preparing for advancement into a leadership role.
- Principles of leadership - what is leadership and what are the essential leadership skills and behaviours a leader must know and demonstrate.
- Understanding my Preferred Leadership Style - participants gain essential insight into their individual leadership behaviours and preferences, together with a solid understanding of the needs of their team and individuals on the team using the DiSC quadra
- Meeting individual and group needs -the importance of a leader's relationship to the individual and the group - which takes precedence over the other and how to balance the needs of the group with the needs of individual group members.
- Maintaining the team and how to meet the needs of the group to be perceived as an effective leader.
- Stages of team development and related requirements of the leader.
- Creation of an individual personalized leadership development plan.