This course provides students with a thorough, behind the scenes look at Oracle application tuning. A discussion of basic Oracle architecture will provide the foundation for understanding both SQL statement and system performance. Students will use EXPLAIN PLAN and AUTOTRACE for evaluating execution strategies and understand the importance of object statistics. Also discussed is how to influence the behavior of the optimizer with hints, physical schema changes, and alternative SQL statement syntax. Factors that affect overall system performance such as the buffer cache, other SGA structures, indexes and waits due to locks and latches are presented. Hands-on workshops provide students with a solid understanding of the concepts presented in the lectures.
Oracle SQL or equivalent experience.
3 Days/Lecture & Lab
Oracle Developers and Oracle Database Administrators (DBAs).
- Database Tuning Overview
- Understanding the Database Architecture
- Automatic Shared Memory Management (ASMM & AMM)
- SQL – Behind the Scenes
- SQL and its Data
- Tuning Sorts and Temporary Work Space
- Tuning Inserts, Updates and Deletes
- Understanding the Oracle Optimizer
- Using EXPLAIN PLAN and AUTOTRACE
- SQL Performance Tips and Techniques