Students who complete this course will be able to code JCL and DFSORT and ICETOOL control statements to utilize the power of these utilities. This includes using these utilities instead of tedious programming languages to create reports (with up to three levels of control breaks), XML files, and HTML files from flat files, VSAM files, members of PDS or PDSE or files in the Hierarchical File System (HFS).
Before taking this course, students should have a working understanding of JCL.
4 Days/Lecture & Lab
This course is designed for experienced programmers and analysts who need a solid, in-depth exploration of DFSORT and ICETOOL capabilities.
DFSORT control statements: INCLUDE, OMIT, INREC, OUTREC, SORT, OUTFIL, OPTION, SUM, RECORD, MERGE, JOINKEYS, JOIN, REFORMAT
- ICETOOL operators: COPY, COUNT, DEFAULTS, MERGE, MODE, RANGE, RESIZE, SORT, STATS, UNIQUE, VERIFY, DISPLAY, OCCUR, SUBSET, SELECT, SPLICE
- Supported data types
- Symbolic names, user-defined and DFSORT-provided
- Using JCL symbolics in SORT and ICETOOL control statements
- Dates and times; relative dates; dates with two-digit years
- The Century Window
- The Hierarchical File System (HFS)
- DFSORT and HFS files
- Report terminology
- Markup languages
- Introduction to XML
- DFSORT and XML
- Introduction to HTML
- DFSORT and HTML
- Joining files
- Collation sequences and locales in DFSORT
- The ICEGENER utility