The course teaches students the skills necessary to use z/OS Debugger to debug batch COBOL programs. Students learn to modify their z/OS Debugger session setup panels to enable batch COBOL program execution. Students will then debug a batch COBOL program to explore the following features of z/OS Debugger:
- Primary and line commands.
- Stepping through the flow of a program.
- Changing the flow of a program.
- Examining and modifying data during program execution.
- Restarting a z/OS Debugger session.
- Adding COBOL instructions as needed.
- Using batch debugging and TIM terminals.
Before taking this course, students should have TSO/ISPF, or equivalent experience, and six months of COBOL programming.
2 Days/Lecture & Lab2
This course is designed for COBOL Programmers and analysts who must use z/OS Debugger as a tool to help analyze and debug batch COBOL programs execution under TSO and batch.
- Introduction to z/OS Debugger
- Preparing a Program for z/OS Debugger
- Starting a z/OS Debugger TSO Session
- Using Breakpoints
- Displaying and Modifying Data
- Conditional Breakpoints
- Using Breakpoint Actions
- Debugging Subprograms
- Retaining Settings and Breakpoints
- Debugging Programs in Batch